Growing moss on the roof is always a common problem, especially in areas with high humidity and a lack of sunlight.
When the moss comes on the roof, it may look picturesque, but it can also cause damage to the roof.
The moss holds moisture against the shingles, which can lead to rot and deterioration.
In addition, the weight of the moss can put extra strain on the roof structure. So, removing the algae is important for the longevity and stability of the roof.
Why It’s Necessary to remove Moss?
Mold has been a problem for many homes. If left untreated, it can cause all sorts of problems.
So, in this guide, I have written the five most effective ways to remove moss with its removal techniques which will keep your roof secure from moss.
Moss on your roof can be a pain to remove, but it doesn’t have to be left uncleaned, which later makes it a bigger problem.
I have also discussed the preventative measures to ensure this doesn’t happen in the future.
Steps in Roof Moss Removal Techniques?
Algae and moss are two problems that many homeowners face. They also pose a severe threat to the roof, and even I have seen it gets fallen when no attention is given.
If left untreated, algae and moss will cause leaks in your roof, which could lead to costly repairs or, even worse – water damage inside your home.
Let’s begin the cleaning process with simple-to-follow steps.
Cleaning Tools and Safety Gear
Before removing moss from your roof, ensure you have the right equipment to clean it without causing any accidents.
- Sturdy shoes with good grip (prevent slipping).
- Roof Rake or Broom.
- A solution to kill Moss.
Steps In Removing Moss from Your Roof
Once all the necessary safety precautions are taken, it’s time to remove that pesky moss growing on your roof.
- Start Removing any debris or dust with the help of a broom. Removing dust will help you give a clean surface before starting the cleaning process.
- Use a long roof rake or a bristled broom to scrape the moss as much as possible. But ensure that while cleaning, do not damage the shingles.
- After scraping the moss completely it is time to use a solution to kill it and prevent it from growing back.
- Apply the solution with a water can or sprayer.
- After applying the solution, do not touch your roof for 20-24 hours to make the solution work.
- Now, rinse the roof with a garden hose or pressure washer. It will remove the solution and also the remaining moss from the roof.
What Are the Preventative Measures
Increase The Sunlight
This scenario will only work when there is plenty of sunlight in your city. If your roof cannot get enough direct sunlight due to obstacles, such as trees, it is better to trim back overhanging branches.
Putting Zinc or Copper Strips
The copper strips also work as a natural fungicide to prevent moss growth when there are any chances of growing it again.
What are the Dark Streaks on My Roof?
You may have noticed dark lines across your roof. Moss grows upright on surfaces, while algae stay close to the surface it grows on.
The algae thrive in humid conditions and will spread to your roof when the spores settle there. Your roof is at risk if you have asphalt shingles.
Roofs with northern exposures are more likely to promote algae growth because they typically receive less sun and last longer before the rain.
Due to this roof started looking black on your shingles as soon as the moss started to spread slowly.
How to Make Your Roof Last Long
A roof is one of the most exposed parts of a house, and it’s also the part that will wear out faster if not properly cared for.
- Clean gutters
- Keep attic ventilated
- Have an annual roof inspection
The best way to keep your roof looking fresh and lasting longer is to maintain its cleanliness through regular maintenance.
I hope the above article will help you in cleaning the moss on the roof with the steps explained above.
Before you start the cleaning process, ensure all the proper preventive measures are considered to prevent any incident.
- Best Cordless Pressure Washer UK : Top In 2023 (UK) - 30/01/2023
- Best Petrol Pressure Washer : Finding The Perfect One - 28/01/2023
- Best Car Pressure Washer UK - 22/01/2023