Concrete is used in various places, such as sidewalks, patios, bridges, and buildings, to strengthen the foundation.
But sometimes, due to a lot of dust collected on these concrete materials, it becomes difficult to sweep with regular cleaning.
In that case, the pressure washer comes handy, which makes the process much easier in removing dirt, oil stains, and other pollutants with a one-time effort.
So, in this article, I have explained steps which will guide you on how to clean concrete with pressure washer in simple ways.
Tips for Cleaning Concrete
There are some things you should never do when cleaning your concrete, and there are a few basics to remember to keep it looking great!
- Never use bleach on the surface of the cement – not only will this remove its colour but using bleach damages the material. This means it will wear down quicker, requiring more maintenance and repair.
- Instead of using harsh chemicals on the surface, use a gentle detergent to clean your concrete. This will remove dirt without damaging the concrete colour or texture.
- To protect the surface from building up in cracks and pores within the cement, scrub the surface with a stiff brush.
- Use a ready-mixed concrete cleaner and cleaning powder for easy cleaning in hard-to-reach spaces. This will remove dirt without affecting the colour or texture of your cement and reaching every corner of the concrete.
How to Clean Concrete With Pressure Washer?
- The first step is to remove all the obstacles which will delay the process such as any furniture, plants, chairs, etc.
- Now take a broomstick and clear all the debris, dust, and leaves collected in the winter.
- Ready your cleaning machine, attach the pressure gun and start the process.
- But before you start the process, it is highly recommended to first check the pressure because if your concrete is old, applying powerful pressure might peel it from the surface.
- After cleaning the whole surface, it is time to apply the detergent solution to the concrete area.
- It is best to start from the top and go your way down.
- Once the above steps have removed all the dirt, rinse off using plain water if any detergent is left behind.
Pressure washers should only be used in short bursts, usually less than 30 seconds at a time, so that they don’t end up damaging your driveway rather than cleaning it.
Things to Consider Before Cleaning the Concrete
Always wear protective gear such as goggles, gloves, safety shoes and an apron when cleaning with chemicals.
Please read the product label carefully before applying it to your concrete surface to be fully aware of its potential dangers to humans or animals who may contact it.
Which Pressure Washer is ideal for cleaning concrete?
There are mainly two types of pressure washers available in the market, which are electric and gas/petrol cleaning machines.
Electric Pressure Washer
An electric pressure washer is mainly used in cleaning household material as they deliver low to medium type pressure to remove grime and stains from various places.
They are powered by electricity and are typically lighter and more compact in size, making it easier for every household to clean anything with the help of these units.
The power of cleaning comes with a powerful motor that generates high water pressure, and then the water is passed with the help of a spray gun.
- The pressure of the water can be adjusted using a trigger or dial on the spray gun.
- Electric pressure washers are commonly used for cleaning decks, patios, sidewalks, driveways, and other outdoor surfaces.
- They are also used for cleaning cars, boats, and other vehicles.
- It requires less maintenance in comparison to the gas cleaning machine.
- It lasts only for 3-4 years only.
- You cannot use it for daily cleaning.
- It can only clean soft to medium-type surfaces, which does not require any force to clean it.
Gas Pressure Washer
Gas or petrol pressure washer are used to clean hard surfaces, which requires a heavy force to do the job.
It does not require any electricity to run the machine in fact, runs with the help of a small gasoline engine, which produces heavy water pressure on the surface.
They are mainly used for cleaning bigger vehicles, boats, and commercial cleaning.
- Just load the machine in your RV or truck and take it anywhere, as it does not require any electric outlet to run the machine.
- These machines are made to clean tough jobs which require heavy pressure on the surface.
- Due to portability, it covers more area and does the cleaning in less time.
- It lasts more than six years if proper care and maintenance are taken.
- It makes lots of noise that may disturb your neighbour when using it in your backyard.
- You will need to test the pressure in every new wash to make sure it does not damage the surface due to its powerful pressure.
Does it require detergent to clean the surface?
No detergent is required to clean the surface most of the time. With the help of a powerful gasoline pressure washer, the stains are removed easily.
Which is the right, petrol or electric pressure for cleaning concrete?
In my testing, an electric pressure washer is ideal if you use it to clean concrete in your backyard area.
But if you are going to use it for commercial purposes, then petroleum ones are perfect.
Always wear protective gear, such as eye protection and earplugs, to prevent water splashes from going inside.
Never point the hose or spray gun directly towards pets to avoid causing injury while cleaning.
- Best Cordless Pressure Washer UK : Top In 2023 (UK) - 30/01/2023
- Best Petrol Pressure Washer : Finding The Perfect One - 28/01/2023
- Best Car Pressure Washer UK - 22/01/2023